Tuesday, February 19, 2008

We are so blessed.

We had a scare yesterday. Mikayla's soft spot was enlarged and firm, she threw up a couple of times, and was just not herself. Taking all that into consideration I made a phone call to my contact at Vanderbilt and was told to bring her to the ER. All signs pointed to a failing shunt, AGAIN. Some days our burden feels a little heavier than others and yesterday was one of those days. So after many tests, tears, and hours they let us know that her shunt was fine and it was just a virus. Turns out that it is a not fun stomach virus. We had a few friends that came to see Mikayla while we were there, which we love them very much for that, but with a very good friend I was really able to reflect on the situation. Like I said before, some days are naturally harder than others but we go through nothing compared to some families who were at that hospital yesterday. Our daily struggles with Spina Bifida are nothing in comparison to parents that have to watch their child lay in a hospital bed every day with stage 4 cancer, knowing that could be their last day. I think about the initial and continuous reports we got while I was pregnant with Mikayla and I look at her as I hold her in my arms today... we are so very blessed. Don't get me wrong - every day is in no way a cake walk for me but when those uncertanties about the future arise or the why starts to come... I step back and remind myself of what could have been or what is a reality for others. We are so blessed.

No comments: